Tyne and Wear HER(15335): North Shields, Collingwood Main Waggonway - Details
North Shields, Collingwood Main Waggonway
This waggonway ran from Collingwood (or Burdon) Main Pit to staiths at North Shields. Parts of the abandoned Chirton Colliery were opened up in 1811 to re-work the High Main Seam. At the same time, Collingwood Main Pit was sunk towards the south-west end of the colliery and a waggonway constructed from it to staiths at North Shields. These were in the same location as those of the earlier Chirton Waggonway. They are shown on Watson 21/21, branching and running to two spouts beyond a coal yard. The staiths are also shown on Woodâ€™s 1827 plan of North Shields in a different arrangement. The rest of the line is shown on Watson 21/15. Later, a branch-line was run to Collingwood Main Waggonway from Hopewell Pit to the north.
Alan Williams Archaeology, July 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne - Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project; North East Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineering, Watson 21/21, Plan of Chirton Quayside. Not dated; Watson 21/15, Plan of Chirton Colliery, property of Edward Collingwood, John Liddell, Ralph Milbank, Duke of Northumberland etc. 1811; Wood, 1827, Plan of North Shields; DS Timoney, 1982, Waggonways of Tyne and Wear - unpublished typescript for Tyne and Wear County Council, p 97 (rioute 38); Les Turnbull, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (route 9B)