Tyne and Wear HER(15337): Willington Way - Details
This waggonway was opened in 1776. It ran south from Millbank Pit (1170) to join the Longbenton East Waggonway (HER 1167) just to the north of the village of Willington. A sales plan of the Willington Estate in 1818 (Bell Papers) shows the line had closed by that date and was operating as a bridle road (now Middle Engine Lane). The plan also shows and names two disused pits along the course of the line, the Venture and Engine pits.
Alan Williams Archaeology, July 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne - Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project; Sales Plan of the Willington Estate 1818, Bell Papers, North East Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineering; Les Turnbull, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (route 15)