Tyne and Wear HER(15343): Elswick Waggonway - Details
Coal was mined in the manor of Elswick from medieval times when it was a possession of Tynemouth Priory. There was also an active colliery in Elswick during the 17th century when at least seven pits were in use. Pits owned by Tempest and Carr near the river were served by a waggonway from 1698 (Turnbull 2009, 114). Coal workings in the manor were flooded out in the early 18th century but a steam pumping engine was purchased in 1724 by Wortley and Partners, owners of the colliery, which allowed further working until they were again drowned in 1740. John Buddle had responsibility for the colliery between 1804 and his death in 1843. Elswick waggonway ran to Wortley Pit which was sunk to the Low Main Seam in 1805. A short inclined-plane ran down to a staith on the riverside.
Alan Williams Archaeology, July 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne - Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project; Les Turnbull, 2009, Coals from Newcastle: An Introduction to the Northumberland and Durham Coalfield, page 114