Tyne and Wear HER(15399): South Shields, Whitehead Street, Freemasons Hall - Details
South Shields, Whitehead Street, Freemasons Hall
On 14th January 1903 Lord Barnard Lodge (then based at the Freemasons Hall at Ingham Street) agreed to acquire the premises of the Tyne Dock Unionist Club in Whitehead Street, Tyne Dock. The Hall was opened on 26th April,1904 by the Provincial Grand Master, The Rt. Honourable, The Lord Barnard. A special Lodge Meeting was held to mark the occasion. In 1907 Lord Barnard Lodge was joined by John Readhead Lodge which remained at Whitehead Street until 1925 when it transferred to the newly opened Hedworth Hall. Tyne Dock Lodge No. 4218 was consecrated on 16th April 1921 and Gothic Lodge No. 6749 on 27th November 1948. The Hall continued to operate until 1952 when Lord Barnard Lodge resolved to sell the Building to the Perseverance Social Club. The Hall was closed on 7th July, 1952 and the three Craft Lodges plus two Royal Arch Chapters and one Mark Lodge moved to the Hedworth Hall.