Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Heaton, Waggonway from Middle Pit to East Pit

Tyne and Wear HER(15431): Heaton, Waggonway from Middle Pit to East Pit - Details

Back to Search Results


15431


Newcastle


Heaton, Waggonway from Middle Pit to East Pit


Heaton


NZ26NE


Transport


Tramway


Wagonway


Post Medieval


C18


Documentary Evidence


After the closure of Heaton Banks Colliery in 1745, there was a gap of around 45 years before coal mining came back to Heaton, this time to the eastern part of the royalty, as Heaton Main Colliery. Rights to the coal seams, deeper in this area than to the west, were leased to a George Johnson. Mining was by the late 18th century a very different business to that of the first half of the century with great advances in sinking, draining and ventilating pits, and in transporting coal long distances below ground from working faces. Only three pits were sunk to work the whole colliery. Heaton Main was served by waggonways which ran south-east between the three widely-spaced pits and on to Lawson’s Main Colliery. This line formed the middle part of the route between Middle Pit and East Heaton Pit, joined to the north by a waggonway from High Pit (route 100) and to the south by a waggonway to Lawson’s Main Colliery (route 114) which linked the Heaton pits to the existing Lawson’s Main route to St Anthony’s in Byker. The line is shown on Watson 27/13 This route closed in 1811 and was replaced by a line running more directly to St Anthony’s (HER 15340) from East Heaton Pit


2743


6612


NZ27436612



Alan Williams Archaeology, July 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne - Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project; North East Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineering: All Watson Papers prefixed NRO/3410/ Watson 27/13: Plan of the line of Heaton Colliery Waggonway. 1805; Turnbull, L. 2012 Railways Before George Stephenson, route 22

Back to Search Results