Tyne and Wear HER(15500): Blucher, allotment gardens - Details
Blucher, allotment gardens
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
Post medieval miners' cottages typically had small yards rather than gardens, which led to the development of allotments. They served the same purpose as medieval tofts and crofts, being used to grow vegetables, keep pigs and poultry. Crees for racing pigeons were also common on later allotments. The allotments on the north side of Hexham Road are shown on plans from 1808. Newburn was apparently renowned for its early and excellent fruit (Mackenzie 1811, 473). Vegetables from gardens at Newburn supplied the daily market at Sandhill in Newcastle (Middlebrook 1950, 151). The A69 has been across the site.
E. Mackenzie, 1811, An historical and descriptive view of the county of Northumberland and of the town and county of Newcastle upon Tyne, Vol. 2, p 473; S. Middlebrook, 1950, Newcastle upon Tyne - its growth and achievement, p 151; AE Smailes, 1960, North England, p 191; Plans of Walbottle, 1808, NRO ZAN Bell 14/5, fig. 266 (Woodhorn); Jennifer Morrison, 2007, Newburn Manor - an analysis of a changing medieval, post-medieval and early modern landscape in Newcastle upon Tyne, unpublished MA thesis, University of Durham