Tyne and Wear HER(15540): Newcastle, Ellison Place, No. 5, reinforced concrete cottage - Details
Newcastle, Ellison Place, No. 5, reinforced concrete cottage
William Boutland Wilkinson lived in No. 5 Saville Place (HER 9102). In 1854 he built a pioneering patent reinforced-concrete cottage in the garden in 1854. The concrete was reinforced using rope. The cottage was demolished in 1954.
Grace McCombie, 2009, Pevsner Architectural Guides, Newcastle and Gateshead, p 190; Pers Comm John Grundy; J.M. Brown Transactions of the Newcomen Society XXXIX; W.F. Cassie 'Early Reinforced Concrete in Newcastle upon Tyne' Structural Engineer April 1955