Tyne and Wear HER(15543): Newcastle, Northumberland Street - Details
Newcastle, Northumberland Street
Road Transport Site
In the 18th century it was a suburb of the medieval town, with three-storey brick houses. Originally called Bath Road because it led to the old Northumberland Baths opened in 1839 (replaced 1928). Old deeds mention the number of riggs each medieval plot contained - a reminder of town fields here, outside the town wall. At the north end, the proportions of these houses may be discerned above garish modern shop fronts. C.1890 named Northumberland Road. Further south the 20th century takes over. Large shops were developed here in the early 1930s. British Home Stores (now Primark) on the east side, was built in 1967, replacing a 1931 Art Deco block for C&A. On the Northumberland Road faĆ§ade, there was a large coloured relief by H & J Collins, 1974, depicting scenes from Newcastle's history. Across the street, the 1970s Marks & Spencer is concrete encrusted with grey chippings. Next the ramp to Eldon Square shopping centre (HER 9787). It's side wall is blank apart from sculpture salvaged from 1970s demolitions (old library 1881, YMCA 1889 and old town hall 1858-63). On the west side of Northumberland Street, a former Boots chemists shop at No. 45 1912 (HER 8784). Further south, Fenwick's department store (HER 9917). On the east corner with Queen Street is a small early C19 house-turned-shop with pargetting added in 1953. To the south, the end of Northumberland Street is marked by Ray Smith's sculpture Heralds (HER 10979), 1997-9. The crossing at Blackett Street was the site of Pilgrim Street Gate on the town wall. Northumberland Street was pedestrianised in ?1998.
Grace McCombie, 2009, Pevsner Architectural Guides, Newcastle and Gateshead, p 198-9