Tyne and Wear HER(15545): Sunderland, Sans Street, Wesleyan Chapel - Details
Sunderland, Sans Street, Wesleyan Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Sans Street Methodist Chapel was built in 1791. It was an imposing late Georgian classical building. Most of its congregation were middle class merchants and financiers. It is shown on . J Rennie's, 1819-22, Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth and the First Edition 25" OS map of 1856. Goad's Insurance Plan of 1894 shows the chapel with steps up to the doors. Inside an organ at the north end and platform at the south end. No. 166 High Street West, adjoining to the west was used as class and class mission rooms. No. 162 to the immediate east was a hosier fronting onto High Street West, a tailor's fronting onto Sans Street and a Penny Savings Saving fronting onto Villiers Street. The chapel is still on Os maps of 1939 and 1955. In the 1960s the chapel was converted into a nightclub. It has since been demolished.
NAA, 2013, 170-175 High Street West, Sunderland - Statement of Significance; Goad's Insurance Plan 1894; N. Kirtlan, no date, Places of Worship in Old Sunderland, p 21; . Rennie, 1819-22, Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth;