Tyne and Wear HER(15553): Newcastle, High Bridge, Duke of Wellington Public House - Details
Newcastle, High Bridge, Duke of Wellington Public House
Known for many years as Stokoe's after wine merchants Stokoe & Co who ran their business from High Bridge and Grey Street. It's manager William Campbell weighed 52 stones when he died aged 22 in 1878. He was almost 6 feet 4 inches tall with 96 inch shoulders and a 76 inch chest. A few months before his death, Campbell was visited by a doctor who published his findings in the Lancet. In 1945 the Duke of Wellington was sold to a private buyer for £7,500. WB Reid rented it for £360 per year. In 1959 it was sold again for £15,250. It's upper floors were taken out of the licenced premises. In 1978 it was bought by CAMRA Investments. In 1982 it was sold to Joshua Tetley. It became a 'one-room' public house.
Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume One - The Central Area, p 21