Tyne and Wear HER(15558): Newcastle, Pudding Chare, Rose Inn - Details
Newcastle, Pudding Chare, Rose Inn
The Rose Inn was a stagecoach halt. It became a favourite meeting place for bowlers when Harry Wardle, bowler took it over. Around 1893 the Rose became the Royal Bar. The proprietor in 1904 was Michael Hails. In 1920 the pub was acquired by Bass. It closed in 1959. In 1960 the Printer's Pie was built to a design 'revolutionary for its time'. Is this the Fleet Street pub?
Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume One - The Central Area, p 25