Tyne and Wear HER(15586): Newcastle, Westgate Road, Criterion Public House - Details
Newcastle, Westgate Road, Criterion Public House
The Criterion was bought by James Deuchar in 1900. This small bar was threatened with closure after the Second World War. In 1951 it just clung onto its licence, promising that suitable men's toilets would be provided and that no women would be allowed to enter apart from those who worked there. The Criterion closed in 1857.
Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume One - The Central Area, p 34