Tyne and Wear HER(15617): Newcastle, Strawberry Place, Strawberry Public House - Details
Newcastle, Strawberry Place, Strawberry Public House
A former beerhouse which became a fully-licenced pub of Duncan & Daglish's Westgate Hill Brewery. It was bought by WB Reid in 1925 for £3500. In 1933 the licensed premises were restricted to the ground floor. The upper floor became the manager's flat. The pub was enlarged into a neighbouring property. Via Scottish Brewers, the Strawberry came under Scottish & Newcastle in 1960. In 1993 it became a T & J Bernard pub. Has long been a meeting place for Newcastle United fans - the sign is a black and white football shirt with a large strawberry in the centre.
Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume One - The Central Area, p 10; Pearson, Lynn, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 49