Tyne and Wear HER(15620): Sandyford, Sandyford Road, Lambert's Leap Public House - Details
Sandyford, Sandyford Road, Lambert's Leap Public House
Named after an incident in 1759 when the horse ridden by Cuthbert Lambert bolted and leapt from the parapet of the bridge over the Sandyford Burn. The mare was killed but Lambert was unhurt. The pub was altered in 1929. Since 1935 it was owned by Robert Deuchar. In 1942 the pub survived an incendiary bomb. It was demolished in 1971. The inner door at the entrance had glass panels showing Cuthbert Lambert's fall.
Brian Bennison, 1996, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two - The North and East, p 5