Tyne and Wear HER(15654): Shieldfield, Portland Road, Newfield House Pub (City Arms) - Details
Shieldfield, Portland Road, Newfield House Pub (City Arms)
Newfield House until 1882 when it became the City Arms. The pub changed hands in 1906 for £11,000. Magistrates removed its licence in 1927. Newcastle's Chief Constable and the city's licensing bench thought that 27 licensed premises in Shieldfield was excessive. Shieldfield covered 46 acres and had 6,600 inhabitants. The 27 licences worked out at one licence for every 244 people. Newcastle as a whole had 1 licence for every 503 people. So four pubs and six beerhouses in Shieldfield were closed.
Brian Bennison, 1996, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two - The North and East, p 16