Tyne and Wear HER(15666): Shieldfield, Simpson Terrace, Red Lion Public House - Details
Shieldfield, Simpson Terrace, Red Lion Public House
The Red Lion was originally at 1 & 2 Prince Albert Terrace. In 1911 the beer house had a large bar with three entrances and a sitting room. It was located 'in one of the very best corner positions in one of the most frequented thoroughfares in Shieldfield'. In 1937 the licence was renewed so long as modernisation took place. A new entrance was built. In 1939 the pub moved to Simpson Terrace. In 1931 the Red Lion was offered to Newcastle Breweries but they turned it down. It was bought by Henry Hails. In 1960 it was sold to Aitcheson's. The pub closed in 1964.
Brian Bennison, 1996, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two - The North and East, p 20