Tyne and Wear HER(1568): Newcastle town wall, intra-mural lane - Details
Newcastle town wall, intra-mural lane
A space or road existed along the inside of the wall, presumably originally right round the circuit, and some still survives, notably Pink Lane and West Walls. The pre-Ordnance Survey maps show other stretches, e.g. from New Gate to Pilgrim Street Gate, along the east side of Austin Friars, and from Walknoll to Sand Gate. One of the few documentary references is dated 1330, and relates particularly to the lane "between the dwelling place of the Austin Friars and the wall of the town" where sufficient space was to be left "for the mayor and commonalty to ride for custody and defence of the town as elsewhere within the wall". There is only one record of the make-up of the road - outside Ever Tower – where it consists of cobbles on 2 layers of bricks, on at least 5 courses of roughly dressed sandstone blocks.
<< HER 1568 >> Cal Pat Rolls, 1330-1334 3 P. Brewis, 1934, The West Walls of Newcastle upon Tyne, between Durham and Ever Towers, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XI, 13. C. North, 1981, Common Lane at Darn Crook, Newcastle, Archaeological Newsbulletin Council British Archaeology 3, Series 2, No. 14, September, p. 11; E.T. Tullett, 1979, Corner Tower, Newcastle upon Tyne in Archaeological Newsbulletin for Cleveland, Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland and Tyne and Wear, Series 2, No. 7, April 1979