Tyne and Wear HER(15680): Westerhope, Rogerson, Boyd and Beaumont Terraces - Details
Westerhope, Rogerson, Boyd and Beaumont Terraces
Rogerson, Boyd and Beaumont Terraces surrounded 'The Square'. They were built on the site of Red Cow Farm (HER 6879). The terraces are named after directors of North Walbottle Coal Company and the Beaumont coal seam. Beaumont Terrace was built 1901-10 by the coal company. The coal seam was named after Huntington Beaumont who introduced bore rods for detecting coal seams to the north in the 17th century. The back yard walls of the terrace show the former location of the earth closets and coalhouses.
J.T. Allison and A.D. Walton, 1989, Bygone Westerhope, 2 and 16