Tyne and Wear HER(15687): Newcastle, Gibson Street, Stag's Head Public House - Details
Newcastle, Gibson Street, Stag's Head Public House
A beerhouse with a small bar and snug in 1897. Altered in 1912. Extended in 1937 by taking in the shop next door. The landlord at the turn of the 20th century was William Veitch, sculler. He died in 1908 and his wife Eleen took over. She ran it until 1939 when she was 75 year's old. In 1948 the Stag's Head was sold for £8000. It was acquired by Nimmo's in 1958. Closed in 1965.
Brian Bennison, 1996, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two - The North and East, p 20-21