Tyne and Wear HER(15707): Gosforth, South Northumberland Cricket Club - Details
Gosforth, South Northumberland Cricket Club
Formed in 1864. Settled at their present ground in 1892. South North Cricket Club is at Roseworth Terrace between Gosforth High Street and Moor Road North in central Gosforth. The club was a founder member of the Tyneside Senior League winning the league in four successive years from 1906 to 1909. It moved to its present ground in Gosforth in 1892 when Northumberland entertained the touring Australians (losing by an innings). In 1923 the club members purchased the freehold to the ground for £5,500. In 1933 the pavilion was built to designs by Marshall & Tweedy. The club joined the newly-formed Northumberland League in 1934 and for 11 seasons between 1924 and 1934 was captained by George Harbottle. George remained a stawart of the club and was President from 1968 to his death in 1998 aged 104. The post war period yielded the club’s greatest successes, winning the Northumberland League seven times between 1947 and 1967 and again in 1988 and 1997. In 2003 Newcastle Cricket Centre opened, costing £1.5 million. This is an indoor coaching facility. It was designed by David Morley Architects of London.
Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 8, 16, 107; http://www.southnorth.co.uk