Tyne and Wear HER(15719): East Rainton, Church of England School - Details
East Rainton, Church of England School
The first school was built in 1822 in the colliery yard of Pontop Pit (HER 3215). It could accommodate 136 infants and children. The school master was Robert Lawson. He was followed by Mr T Sager around 1894. Mrs Ramshaw taught the girls how to sew. The school was taken over by the church in 1866. The vicar taught scripture. In the 1920s the headmaster was Mr Tilley. In 1930 plans were passed for a new school to the west of this one (HER 15720). The playground was earth containing ash and cinders. There were stoves in each classroom.
East Rainton Women's Institute, no date, History of East Rainton (typescript); Ordnance Survey Second Edition Map 1890; Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p558