Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Tynemouth Pier, searchlight emplacement

Tyne and Wear HER(1572): Tynemouth Pier, searchlight emplacement - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

Tynemouth Pier, searchlight emplacement





Searchlight Battery

Early Modern


Ruined Building

On the north side of pier road, at the west end of the quarry, there survives the remains of a searchlight emplacement built in 1897. It was designed to help the guns at the Castle and Spanish Battery fire at night, and was manned and maintained by the Tyne Electrical Engineers based at Cliffords Fort. Disused by World War II, and replaced by a new one at the land end of the pier. This 19th century example is the last to remain on the Tyne. LOCAL LIST




<< HER 1572 >> Pers comm. A. Rudd, 1995, Letter regarding EH's application to build a wall south of Tynemouth Castle - North Tyneside Technical Services Dept.Planning applications Council For British Archaeology, 1995, Twentieth Century Defences in Britain - An Introductory Guide Handbook of The Defence of Britain Project, p 62-63; North Tyneside Council, November 2008, Register of Buildings and Parks of Special Local Architectural and Historic Interest SDP (Local Development Document 9)

Back to Search Results