Tyne and Wear HER(15726): East Rainton, Rose and Crown Inn (Middle House) - Details
East Rainton, Rose and Crown Inn (Middle House)
In 1824 John Brolinson was landlord at the Rose and Crown. Later converted into a house. Recorded in 2014 prior to demolition. The earliest fabric is the south wall (1.2m thick), which may relate to an entirely different 18th century building. In the 18th or early 19th century, four rooms were built. The next phase of development was the addition of a single storey extension to the east wall. The Rose and Crown ceased to operate some time between 1906 and 1914. In the 1920s or 1930s a structure on the south elevation was removed, the windows in the east wall of the extension were remodelled and a new fire surround was installed. A toilet was installed in the outhouse. The last modification was the installation of a bathroom. The building is shown on the tithe map of 1839. On the first edition OS map of 1854 the building is named as the Rose and Crown Inn. It is no longer named as a pub on the second edition revision of 1906, suggesting a change of use to residential. It is named Middle House on the OS map of 1960. Whellan's directory of 1856 lists Elizabeth Walker as victualler at the Rose and Crown. The directory of 1865 lists Edward Stout. The inn is not listed in Whellan's directory of 1894. Kelly's directory of 1906 names Thomas Worthington at the Rose and Crown. The inn is not listed after this date.
East Rainton Women's Institute, no date, History of East Rainton (typescript); Ordnance Survey First Edition Map 1858; Robert Hope, no date, East Rainton in the 1920s; Dr Gillian Eadie and Philippa Cockburn, Archaeological Research Services Ltd, 2014, Middle House, East Rainton - Archaeological Building Recording and Evaluation; D Amat, Archaeological Research Services Ltd, 2010, An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Photographic Building Recording at Summer House Farm, East Rainton;