Tyne and Wear HER(15733): East Rainton, Hazard Colliery Cricket Club - Details
East Rainton, Hazard Colliery Cricket Club
In existence by 1851. The pitch was also encircled by the embankment carrying the railway from Hazard Pit (now footpaths). A pit pony was used each year to pull the grass cutting machine. He was stabled in a small shed next to the pavilion. The club has played in four different fields. Known as East Rainton Cricket Club when the pit closed 1935. The Football Club took over the original cricket field as their pitch. They had to change in the Village Tavern as they had no pavilion.
East Rainton Women's Institute, no date, History of East Rainton (typescript); Hetton Local & Natural History Society, 2015, The Hetton Village Atlas p562