Tyne and Wear HER(15734): East Rainton, miners welfare hall - Details
East Rainton, miners welfare hall
Opened in 1926. Had a sprung dance floor. Closed in 1934 when Hazard Pit closed. Reopened as a village hall and was used by the Cricket and Football Clubs, Women's Institute and British Legion. The Women's Institute started in East Rainton in 1948. Demolished in the 1980s? Site now occupied by Highfield Hotel.
East Rainton Women's Institute, no date, History of East Rainton (typescript); Robert Hope, no date, Recollections of Life in the Village of East Rainton in the 1920s