Tyne and Wear HER(15740): Hebburn, Hawthorn Leslie Shipyard, dry dock - Details
Hebburn, Hawthorn Leslie Shipyard, dry dock
Marine Construction Site
The dock was first built in 1866 but it has been altered with later refits. It has a typical keel-shaped profile and is built of masonry and concrete with keel blocks (concrete blocks which raise the ship's hull above floor level) on the dock floor. A narrow gangway spans the dock at the seaward end. The travelling cranes which formerly stood at the side of the dry dock are no longer in-situ, but their tram rails remain in place. The dock gate is probably that which was installed during a refit in the late 1920s. Work in the 1930s narrowed the starboard (west) dock wall.
Lancaster University Archaeological Unit, June 2000, Former Hawthorn Leslie Shipyard, Tyne and Wear, Archaeological Assessment