Tyne and Wear HER(15783): Birtley, North Side, Northside Farm - Details
Birtley, North Side, Northside Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Farmhouse and stables and barns. Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition. Planning permission is in place to convert the south-west redundant farm buildings into two dwellings. The buildings were recorded by The Archaeological Practice in 2014. Although much altered and rebuilt, the buildings are a rare example of the multi-phase development of a traditional pre-industrial linear farm. The farmstead is likely to date to the early 18th century or earlier. The main buildings were present in 1840. The best-preserved part of the old farm is the cartshed and granary block which was built after 1840. The gingang and an outshut at the rear of the farmhouse were added by 1860. The gingang had been removed by 1895. The present farmhouse was built by the 1930s. The earliest fabric is in the former farmhouse which is at the latest early 18th century in origin. The barn attached to the west of the former farmhouse has been virtually rebuilt. Attached to this is another barn probably of mid 18th century date. The west gable end shows evidence of having had a thatch roof. This was heightened before 1800. The cross range was probably built in the early 19th century.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition map 1856; The Archaeological Practice Ltd, 2014, Northside Farm, Birtley, Gateshead - Historic Building Recording