Tyne and Wear HER(15799): Bishopwearmouth, High Street West, public baths and washhouse - Details
Bishopwearmouth, High Street West, public baths and washhouse
Health and Welfare
Built in 1858. In 1890 the Borough surveyor R.S. Rounthwaite remodelled and expanded the High Street public baths in classical style. It was the first public baths facility in the north east to be financed under the 1846 Baths and Wash Houses Act. The building has now gone, demolished in 1988, but its impressive portico entrance and clock were carefully dismantled and neatly incorporated into the modern Inland Revenue offices of Gilbridge House in 1992.
http://www.macq.org.uk/the-history/gilbridge-house/; Lynn Pearson, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 76