Tyne and Wear HER(15802): Bishopwearmouth, drill hall - Details
Bishopwearmouth, drill hall
Military Training Site
In 1879 a drill hall was constructed on Livingstone Road for the training of local military divisions and beneath it a large bottle (discovered in 1926) was buried as a time capsule containing two Sunderland newspapers, coins and a list of officers from the Rifle Volunteer Corps. The drill hall was later occupied by branches of the Durham Light Infantry and the Territorial Army.