Tyne and Wear HER(15821): Newcastle, Sandgate, Green Tree Public House - Details
Newcastle, Sandgate, Green Tree Public House
The Green Tree public house stood halfway along Sandgate. It was a two-storey beerhouse. In 1896 a Heaton builder bought the pub with a view to demolish and rebuild it. One afternoon when 18 workmen were working on it, the building collapsed and killed 4 men and injured several others. Rebuilt in 1897. The new pub was acquired by Woods of South Shields in 1902. In 1919 it passed to Newcastle Breweries. Closed in 1940.
Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, pp 24-25