Tyne and Wear HER(15848): Byker, Byker Bank, Old Hawk Inn - Details
Byker, Byker Bank, Old Hawk Inn
Small pub with a front bar and a back tap room. A new frontage was added in 1873. It belonged to Sandyford Stone Brewery. It lost its licence in 1905 when it was being leased by Arrol's. The landlord made £10 a week and Arrol's thought it should be over £15. The pub did not have decent toilet facilities. The Oswald architectural practice drew up plans to improve and enlarge the pub but this never happened. When the licence was lost the pub reverted to being a beerhouse. It later became a rag shop.
Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 31; Lynn F Pearson, 1989, The Northumbrian Pub - an architectural history, p 34