Tyne and Wear HER(15851): Byker, Byker Bank, Bay Horse Public House - Details
Byker, Byker Bank, Bay Horse Public House
Bought by White & Co, wine merchants for £4000. Extended in 1936. White & Co. went into voluntary liquidation in the late 1930s. The pub was bought by Fenwick & Co. of Sunderland. It operated on a beer and wine licence until 1950. It became a Flower's pub and then Whitbread. The Bay Horse was knocked down along with the former Imperial Picture Hall to make way for the Shields Road bypass.
Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 31