Tyne and Wear HER(15853): Byker, Shields Road, Prince of Wales Public House - Details
Byker, Shields Road, Prince of Wales Public House
On the corner of Toward Street. Operated under a beer and wine licence from 1884. The pub was altered in 1928. In 1940 the inside was rearranged. In 1948 the pub was bought by Cameron's and in 1952 was granted a full licence (to sell spirits). In 1972 Cameron's modernised the pub. They created one big lounge from the sitting room and smoke room. In 1986 the Prince of Wales became the very first Tap & Spile (of the national chain). Later renamed the Ouseburn Tavern. Demolished to make way for Morrison's Supermarket.
Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 34-35