Tyne and Wear HER(15858): Byker, Addison Road, Addison Hotel Public House - Details
Byker, Addison Road, Addison Hotel Public House
Rebuilt in 1890. In 1897 George Docksey became manager. He extended the pub, which became the largest pub in the area. In 1902 the Addison was described as 'one of the most important hotels in the East End, with a staff of eight kept fully employed'. A later popular landlord in the 1950s was Tommy Shaw. The Addison closed in 1969 for road improvements. Lynn Pearson - In 1896 Septimus Oswald & Son extended the Addison Hotel to provide a smoke room, buffet and grill room. The screen between the grill room and buffet was a magnificent intricate arcade of wooden tracery built in softwood (American yellow pine). The screen also featured 'brilliant cut plate glass'. The door opening between the two rooms was covered by a sumptuous curtain. It was constructed by T. Lamb of Gateshead. The bar incorporated a rouge Griotte marble slab 'polished with a moulded edge'. Oswald's specifications and architects' drawings were minutely detailed.
Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 36-37; Lynn F Pearson, 1989, The Northumbrian Pub - an architectural history, p 95-6; Septimus Oswald & Son, 1896, Addison Hotel design for screen (Tyne and Wear Archives 234/1274)