Tyne and Wear HER(15880): Walker, Crown and Anchor Public House - Details
Walker, Crown and Anchor Public House
Owned by Newcastle's Hanover Square Brewery then F.M. Laing. In 1920 it was bought by William Gilroy of the Raby. He altered the Crown and Anchor in the 1930s. He then sold it to McEwan's. In the 1950s there were plans to create a bar annexe from a bottle store, take the select room into the sitting room and move the manager's quarters upstairs. In 1954 it was decided not to proceed with the alterations. The pub closed in 1969.
Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 44