Tyne and Wear HER(15886): Walker, Church Street, Stack Inn - Details
Walker, Church Street, Stack Inn
The first Stack Inn was at Stack Farm near Bill Point. Its trade came mostly from the iron and alkali works. River improvements removed Bill Point and the inn and farmhouse were lost. The farmer, Mr Tweddle, built a new Stack Hotel on the corner of Church Street and Station Road. It had two bars, six smoke and club rooms, four kitchens, four bedrooms, a private sitting room, larder, wine and bottle stores, wash house, two-stalled stable and coach house, a shop and a dwelling house of four rooms and a scullery. In 1897 J.H. Graham acquired the lease of the building for £13,800. The hotel later became a Bass house. In 1948 there were alterations. The small bar and room at the back were for men only. In 1962 a rear part of the building became a betting office. The Stack Hotel closed in the 1970s. It moved to the corner of Walker Road and Rochester Street.
Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 45