Tyne and Wear HER(15904): Houghton-le-Spring, Rectory Park, fountain - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Rectory Park, fountain
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
The fountain is shown on the Ordnance Survey first edition of 1858. The current fountain has been in place since the opening of the park in 1949. The rock in the centre of the fountain is of interest. A geologist suggested in 2010 that it is travertine, a form of limestone found in Italy. Who brought it to Houghton, how (it is a big piece of stone!) and why is unknown. The black painted railings which today surround the feature are a modern replacement of the original 1950s railings erected as a safety measure. Prior to this the feature was surrounded by a circular flower bed.
Paul Lanagan, Houghton-le-Spring Heritage Society, 2013, Houghton-le-Spring Rectory - A Walk Around the Grounds (www.houghtonlespring.org.uk); Northern Archaeological Associates Ltd. 2014, Rectory Park, Houghton-le-Spring, Archaeological Assessment and Building Recording