Tyne and Wear HER(15906): Houghton-le-Spring, Rectory Field, ox roasting spit - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Rectory Field, ox roasting spit
Food Preparation and Consumption
Food Preparation Equipment
Ox roasting at Houghton began when Rector Bernard Gilpin (1558-1583) fed the parish poor each Sunday between Michaelmas and Easter. A bullock or hog was often roasted. In 1967 Houghton Rotary Club revived the tradition at Houghton Feast. The spit is set up in a breezeblock structure, which is of no architectural merit. But the site is recorded here because the history of ox roasting is of historic interest.
Paul Lanagan, Houghton-le-Spring Heritage Society, 2013, Houghton-le-Spring Rectory - A Walk Around the Grounds (www.houghtonlespring.org.uk); Paul Lanagan, 2009, Houghton Feast Ox Roasting 1967-2009 (commemorative booklet); Ox Roasting: A Beef History narrated by Ron Young