Tyne and Wear HER(15918): Houghton-le-Spring, Market Place, Black Horse Public House - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Market Place, Black Horse Public House
In April 1853 the Black Horse went up for auction. It had a ground floor cellar, two rooms on the first floor, a yard, stable and outbuildings. The tenant was Blyth Robson. In 1891 and 1894 the publican was E Patrick. In 1901 it was George Elliot. In 1911 Mary Shields, a 24 year old widow, was the innkeeper. Market Place was redeveloped between 1960 and 1963. The Black Horse Public House was demolished. No. 22 Market Place stands in its place.
Paul Lanagan, 2011, The Balck Horse PH, www.houghtonlespring.org.uk