Tyne and Wear HER(1592): Byker, Kenton Close, Kenton Pit - Details
Byker, Kenton Close, Kenton Pit
Coal Mining Site
Three coal crop lines run diagonally across the site, two of which are known to have been worked at some time in the past. It is likely that the exploitation of coal in the vicinity goes back hundereds of years; certainly to the later medieval period. Two pits lie in Kenton Close, this one is called Kenton Pit and the other one (HER ref. 1591) is unnamed. Kenton Pit lies adjacent to Heaton Park Road, and is shown surrounded by trees on the 1858 Ordnance Survey map and on a plan of 1740. It closed some time between 1858 and 1894. There does not appear to have been a waggonway associated with these pits.
<< HER 1592 >> The Archaeological Practice, 1997, Shields Road, Regeneration, Archaeological Assessment; Turnbull, L, 2015, A Celebration of our Mining Heritage