Tyne and Wear HER(15920): Houghton, Sunderland Street, Black Lion Inn - Details
Houghton, Sunderland Street, Black Lion Inn
White tender, two storeys, slate roof. Two bay windows on the ground floor with the door to the right. The first floor had mock Tudor timbering and two sash windows. In 1824, 1827 and 1829 George Dodgshon was the landlord. In 1834 it was Alex Newley. In 1847 and 1848 it was Chris Harrison. From 1851 to 1856 it was Jacob Gibson. In 1858 it was Thomas Hopper. In 1861 Matthew Hurrion was vicyualler and mason. Between 1864 and 1865 the landlady was Elizabeth Nowley. In 1871-2 it was C Binks. In 1873 it was Mrs Jane Binks. In 1876-7 it was James Hope. In 1881 and 1890 the landlord was George Bradbrook. He died in 1898 in Houghton Poor House and is buried in Houghton Hillside Cemetery. In 1893-4 the landlord was William Wilson. In 1905 and 1911 the landlady was Mrs Elizabeth Wilson. The Friendly Society of Women used to meet in the Black Lion Inn, until they disbanded in 1913. In 1923 the landlord was John Wilson. In 1930 it was Ellison Spark. In 1934 it was James Allin. In 1937 and 1938 the landlord was Jason Farrell. In the late 1960s the Black Lion was a Vaux house, managed by Robert Hardie. The pub closed on 26 January 1969 to make way for the A690 dual carriageway.
Paul Lanagan, 2012, The Black Lion, www.houghtonlespring.org.uk; Paul Lanagan, 2013, Pub's long evolution from lion to buffalo to boar, article in Seaham and Houghton Star, Wednesday 28 August 2013