Tyne and Wear HER(15921): Houghton, Newbottle Street, Lambton Arms Public House - Details
Houghton, Newbottle Street, Lambton Arms Public House
In 1827 the landlord was David Keith. In 1851 it was Richard Price. In 1861 Ralph Collison was victualler and miner. In 1871 William Minto was publican and tailor. In 1881 the landlord was George Allen. In 1891 and 1894 Thomas Rigby was the licensed victualler and lived here with his wife Mary and her mother Margaret Fletcher. By 1901 Thomas had died and Mary began innkeeper of the Red Lion on Church Street (HER 9032). In 1901 the landlady of the Lambton Arms was Jane Winter. In 1911 the landlord was Thomas Gibbins. In 1938 it was Jason HH Duff. There was a fire at the pub around 1998. In 2002 the former pub was renovated and converted into seven business units and is now known as Lambton House. It does not bear much resemblance to the Victorian pub, which was red brick with sandstone dressings. Curved-arched windows on the ground floor, sashes above, round window in the southern gable end, large chimney stack on the south-west corner. The building is now rendered and painted white. The windows are all rectangular with modern frames. There are new shopfronts on the front elevation. The chimney stack has been reduced in height and the pots removed.
Paul Lanagan, 2012, The Lambton Arms, www.houghtonlespring.org.uk