Tyne and Wear HER(15943): Bishopwearmouth, Church of St. Michael, churchyard - Details
Bishopwearmouth, Church of St. Michael, churchyard
In 2007 the administrator of the Minster confirmed that there is documentation in the church records which state that when the churchyard became an area of open space circa 1956, the gravestones were moved and used to create a pathway and the graves were lifted and reinterred elsewhere. The whole churchyard was dug over and planted. Stray bones may have been left behind in this process.
Telephone conversation 22 November 2007