Tyne and Wear HER(15944): Elswick, St John's Cemetery, south lodge - Details
Elswick, St John's Cemetery, south lodge
Religious Ritual and Funerary
The cemetery (HER 5285) opened in 1857 with buildings probably by Johnstone and Knowles. This lodge is not listed but it is similar to the listed east and west lodges. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. One storey with attic space. Leaded windows. 2 decorative chimneys. Nasty ?1970s kitchen and bathroom extension. Very poor condition - looks like there has been fire damage. In 2013 this is being renovated for residential use.
Pers comm, Charlotte Coyne, Historic Environment Officer, 2013