Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Houghton-le-Spring, Mautland St, Primitive Methodist Chapel

Tyne and Wear HER(15958): Houghton-le-Spring, Mautland St, Primitive Methodist Chapel - Details

Back to Search Results



Houghton-le-Spring, Mautland St, Primitive Methodist Chapel



Religious Ritual and Funerary

Methodist Chapel

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Early Modern


Demolished Building

Built in 1875 at a cost of £3000 on land bought from George Hopper (ironfounder). Opened in 1876. In 1891 Thomas Davison presented a Communion jug and plates to the Trustees of Mautland Street Primitive Methodist Chapel. In 1932 the Methodist Union joined the Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodists into the Methodist Church. In 1935 the chapel celebrated its Diamond Jubilee (1875-1935) with a Reunion Service on 11th May. During the Second World War the the rear premises were requisitioned by the army. In 1947 several memorial windows were installed. A centenary event was held in 1976. In 1977 it was decided that Mautland Street and Nesham Place chapels should merge. The last service at Mautland Street chapel was on 22 July 1979. The following month the chapel was demolished. The foundation of the new church was laid on 26th July 1980. The new Houghton-le-Spring Methodist Church opened on 27 September 1980. When Houghton Colliery closed in 1981 commemorative lamps were presented to the church.




Paul Lanagan, 2012, Houghton Methodist Churches,; Paul Lanagan, 2013, Houghton's first Methodists founders of a proud tradition, article in Seaham and Houghton Star, Wednesday 24 July 2013; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, List of Non-Conformist Chapels in Sunderland

Back to Search Results