Tyne and Wear HER(15966): Houghton-le-Spring, Hillside Cemetery, sexton's lodge - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Hillside Cemetery, sexton's lodge
Religious Ritual and Funerary
The sexton's lodge was built around 1873. A two storey limestone building with leaded windows, quoins, bargeboards and finial at the gable end facing the road. Later it was occupied by caretakers and groundsmen. In 1881 the parish sexton was William Reid and he lived in the lodge with his wife Mary and his 24 year old daughter Mary Jane, who was a teacher. Mary died in 1886 and is buried in the cemetery. In 1890 George W Brown was the sexton. In 1894 his five year old son William died and was buried in the cemetery. George died in 1895. His wife Jane and their children Margery and Thomas moved to Newbottle Street. In 1896 Edwin Place was sexton. His wife Margaret died in 1903 and was buried in the cemetery. Around 1926 Mr Reynolds and his wife lived in the lodge. In the 1930s Mr JW Scott, gravedigger and caretaker, lived in the lodge with his wife. In the 1940s Flem Ely was the cemetery caretaker. In 1942 the council employed the cemetery caretaker. Around 1950 Gordon English lived in the lodge but he was associated with the cemetery. In the 1950s a Mr and Mrs Green lived in the lodge with their children. The lodge was empty by 1964 and fell into ruin.
Paul Lanagan, 2003-2013, Houghton Hillside Cemetery Lych Gate & Lodge, www.houghtonlespring.org.uk/hillsidecemetery; Paul Lanagan, 2012, Houghton Hillside Cemetery - The Cemetery Keeper's Lodge, www.houghtonlespring.org.uk/hillsidecemetery; Friends of Hillside Cemetery website http://www.theoldcem.co.uk