Tyne and Wear HER(16011): North Shields, Howard Street, No. 73 - Details
North Shields, Howard Street, No. 73
Howard Street was laid out after 1796 when the Earl of Carlisle sold land to John Wright. Howard was the Earl's family name. Most plots had been built upon by 1826 mostly with two storey brick houses with stone doorways with Tuscan pilasters and heavy striaght entablatures. Many of the houses were re-fronted in the Edwardian period and later. No. 73 is fronted with white Portland stone, probably in the 1920s as it is Art Deco in style with an indented eaves cornice. The sash windows have either been renewed at the same time or had glazing bars and handles added to create Art Deco style lights. The building is presently  occupied by Counselling 4 All.
North Tyneside Council and Capita, November 2013, Draft Northumberland Square Conservation Area, Character Appraisal, p 31