Tyne and Wear HER(16108): Gateshead, Alexandra Road, Drill Hall - Details
Gateshead, Alexandra Road, Drill Hall
Military Training Site
Dill Hall built 1885 for 5th Battallion Durham Rifle Volunteers. Nationally, drill halls were first built for the Rifle Volunteer Corps which was established in 1859-60 when invasion from France was feared. They offered a combination of social and sporting activities. The hall had a Drill Field attached which functioned until c.1895 when it became part of Durham Rugby Union ground. By 1940 the Drill Hall was used by the 9th Battalion Durham Light Infantry (TA) and it seems to have remained a TA depot until demolition in the 1980s.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2010, Proposed Gateshed Football Stadium, Archaeological Assessment