Tyne and Wear HER(16119): Dinnington, Mill Hill Farm - Details
Dinnington, Mill Hill Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
The buildings forming Mill Hill Farm enclose a rectangular yard of which the farmhouse forms the south side and a small detached group to the east of the NE corner. The surviving 19th century buildings comprise of the outer walls of the west range (originally a barn), the sing storeyed main section in the north range, the Cottage and the north-eastern group. These buildings were recorded by Peter Ryder and The Archaeological Practice Ltd. in 2007 ahead of their conversion into residential buildings. The farmhouse which appears to be of 18th century origin was not included in the conversion scheme. The north and west ranges were in place by the mid 19th century while the north-eastern buildings were built between the mid-late 19th centuruy. A gin-gang is shown on the 1st edition ordnance survey plan attached to the west range. This appears to have been replaced by c.1920.
The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2007, Mill Hill Farm, Dinnington, Historic Buildings Recording