Tyne and Wear HER(16123): Gosforth, Oakfield House, The Camellia House - Details
Gosforth, Oakfield House, The Camellia House
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
A conservatory formerly attached to the west side of Oakfield House (HER 11440) (known as Westfield School since c.1960). The conservatory was initially a detached structure which was then joined to the main school buildings when they were expanded. The conservatory measured 10.75m x 7.5m and was of timber construction above a brick base. The conservatory dated to c.1900 but was a replacement for an earlier glass house which probably dated to the construction of Oakfield House in the 1870s. The structure was recorded by Peter Ryder and The Archaeological Practice Ltd. in 2007 ahead of its demolition.
The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2007, The Camellia House, Westfield School, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, Historic Buildings Recording